Tuesday 22 April 2008

Clare FM

Ok, I admit it I generally choose which stations to review based on whatever whim takes me as I spin my little Pico's dial. This one was entirely personal, I had an feeling it would be a local radio station in County Clare, Ireland, but it's also the name of my wife (obviously without the FM bit...).

So station choosen, how did Clare FM get on? I had high hopes after my last foray into commercial territory with Brisbane's Best Mix getting my highest rating. I'll keep this short and sweet, Clare FM is everything Brisbane wasn't, and most definitely not in a good way.

Skipping quickly over the music, which was for me, an overly light take on the current pop songs and some of the eightes most vacuous hits, nothing different from any of your local stations and certainly nothing to make it stand out against the thousands of other choices on the dial. The biggest issue for me was the almost claustrophobic localness of the DJ's banter, it was like a radio version of The Framley Examiner, except without the satire. I tried to pinpoint why the Brisbane station felt exotic and the Clare station felt provincial and I couldn't. So it could just be too close to home...

Connection from the wifi radio was good, but the PC seemed to pick up a tinny vibe every time I tuned in. Nothing too serious but noticable if you wanted to tune in on a permenant basis. The Clare FM website needs some toning down colour wise, but is a servicable if basic front end for a small commercial station giving you a way to access the station, a basic schedule and some attempt to provide additional content.

I'm pulling back from giving Clare FM the bottom rating on the basis that they're no worse (although no better) than dozens of local commercial stations out there. They have however pushed me away from reviewing commercial stations, I think there's too many good internet only stations out there that need my attention... So back to the rating, Clare FM gets a DROP-OUT rating, please only listen if a.) you live in County Clare or b.) you lived their and need a nostalgia fix.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agree totally with your observation that too many local stations, regardless of what part of the world, are much the same as similar local stations albeit with an accent. Something like Midwest Irish Radio is much more special, more exotic than anything you hear on a typical local station. BTW, this is an excellent idea and great service to IR listeners, particularly those of us just beginning the adventure. Thanks!

Online radio said...

This is exactly the thing I'm after, good alternatives to the rubbish you can stumble across. Will search out Midwest Irish Radio and give them a go (with resulting review of course...)