Monday 28 April 2008

Foxy \ Jewel??


I originally tuned into this one on my Wi-Fi radio, where it's named Foxy, something that left me a little lost when I tried to track it down online. It seems Foxy 88.5fm changed it's name over a year ago to Jewel (or "The Jewel of the dial", do you see what they did there...)

Ok, I know I said no more local radio stations, but they TRICKED me with there oh so snazzy single word name, lack of the strange letters US and Canadian stations seem to be made up of and not even a hint of an FM in their name... It was a while before I worked it out and by that time I was in too deep.

So anyway, what's Foxy like? Well like there name, the musics a bit stuck in the past. If I can liken it to a cheap compilation albums, and I think it's a fair analogy , this one would be titled "Second Love". Most of the content seems to be love based pop from a range of era's with a fairly high focus on rubbish covers. It's not pretty, there are some recognisable voices and some recognisable songs, but rarely together on the same track. For instance, Neil Diamond - a good singer, some great songs under his belt. The way you look tonight, a great song, from a great era. Neil Diamond singing The way you look tonight... just doesn't work...

On the technical side, the connections good from both Wi-Fi and PC is good, no issues / dropouts. For the most part the DJ keeps the chatter to the minimum only really coming in every 3-4 songs. again the same with the ads. Although these almost make the station worth listening too, they're the equivelant of shopping TV in their content (Tummy tuck jeans? Sleep apnia?)

The Site is minimilist, a link to listen to the radio and half a dozen other links to things like a gallery or local traffic information. Definitely nothing to write home about.


Even the amusing adverts (do YOU know how much waste your bowel retains without wonder clear powder?) can't save this station from an overall rating of DROP-IT. It's just too bland, it times it feels like they've gone out of their way to pick dull tracks and soporific voiced DJ's. Unless getting to sleep really IS a problem for you, avoid.

No comments: