Friday 23 May 2008

Malt Shop Radio

Sometimes you hear a track and it inspires you to listen to more of that type of music.This happened to me recently, so when I started looking for my next station to review I tuned in to the 'Oldies' genre hoping for a bit of swing or early rock.

I'm not sure whether Malt Shop Radio delivered what I was after, and I'm not sure it delivered anything I'd be interested in returning to. This is not to say that it's particularly bad, but I'd not say it's much good either.

The music is a mix of late 60's, early 70's tracks from a fairly wide background, but similar to previously reviewed stations, the blend just doesn't work for me. I'm sure some maths graduate could come up with an equation for the perfect music mix, but for me Malt Shop Radio needs more recognisable or catchy tracks.

Connection to the station is good, however the fade between tracks / ads is very harsh and often seems to cut a tune off mid stream. Assuming this is an automated process, they need to tweal the settings a little. As part of a small cluster of stations, the ads on this station only direct you back to the overall Audiocandy website.

And finally, we look at the supporting site, and here things take a turn for the worse. For the second review in a row we have to complete a 'free signup' in order to access the music. I'll not go into it again, but this is not a good thing, see my previous post for more details. At least with this one thought you get access to 4 station with your ID. The parts of the site I could access looked a bit drab to be honest, it was mainly about Audiocandy not the stations that it represents.

Another slightly dull and hard to access station, I give Malt Shop Radio a DROP-OUT rating, the only thing preventing this from scraping the bottom of the barrel is that the music is ok, if you love the oldies and know the genre a little better than me, this could be a station you'd like.

No comments: