Monday 10 March 2008

First post, first station - Soma Illinois Street Lounge

,


It could be a lack of googling skills, but I can't seem to track down a site detailing or reviewing any of the 10 thousand radio stations available via Reciva on my Wifi radio. I switch it on and there's just TOO MUCH choice. So this is my attempt to fill the gap. I'd love to hear other peoples opinions on the stations I review or stations they know and love. So add comments or drop me a line if you want to post a review.

Soma Illinois Street Lounge. One of the ever changing cluster of SOMA radio stations Illinois Street Lounge offers "Classic bachelor pad, playful exotica and vintage music of tomorrow" acording to the onsite blurb. I wanted to like it, and occasionally I do, there's a little bit of swing, some old crooners and even the odd recognisable golden oldie. Can you tell there's a but coming?

On the downside, the vast majority of playlist seems to be synthesised updates from that era, I guess that's the "music of tomorow" element. Unfortunately this ends up feeling like the hold music from a particularly boring telephone system.


On the technical side, the connections always good, the music seems to go 24:7 with no real DJ interruptions and only the smallest hint of advertising. I say advertising, but really it's a request to support the station with paypal donations I've listened for hours and could only really say I've heard it 2 or 3 times.

Overall I give this station a TURN-ON rating

1 comment:

Tony said...

Hey, thanks for providing this! I really needed a guide through the jungle that is internet radio!! I'll be checking back regularly for your thoughts on what you've found.